Author: @dmin

How to obtain a sanitary and epidemiological booklet?

To receive a booklet for sanitary and epidemiological purposes, first, you need to go to the sanitary and epidemiological station (ul. Wincentego Pola 6, al. Wojska Polskiego 160, ul. Spedytorska 6/7), where the faeces samples will be examined for Salmonella and Shigella sticks and Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Samples should be delivered from three consecutive days. Results […]

Are there any vaccinations required in Poland?

In Poland, compulsory vaccinations apply to children and young people up to 19 years of age, as well as people particularly vulnerable to illness (students of medical universities, healthcare workers, employees of veterinary services). Obligatory vaccinations in our country include one against tuberculosis, pneumococcal infections, diphtheria, pertussis, polio (poliomyelitis), measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, hepatitis B, […]

Offices – what, where, how can I handle my issues?

Below you will find a list of offices and tips on what issues you can handle in them: – West Pomeranian Voivodship Office – here you can apply for a temporary or permanent residence card, an invitation, benefits for people who have a Pole’s Card and have applied for permanent residence – Szczecin City Hall […]

Is there a registration requirement in Poland?

If you are planning to stay in Poland for over 30 days, you are required to register in within 4 days of your arrival. You can register when you have a flat rental contract. For your visit to the Office, you should prepare: a renting agreement, a valid passport with a document that legalizes your […]

What are the assumptions of the “Szczecin id Family Friendly” Program and can I join to it with my family?

The purpose of this program is to create in Szczecin and partner municipalities a friendly living space for families with children and senior citizens by eliminating differences between residents and creating conditions for using various forms of preferences, discounts and amenities. There are two types of cards entitling to receive discounts as a part of […]

What documents should you have on the border?

If you want to come to Poland, you must have the following documents with you on the border: – valid travel document, – valid document legalizing your stay in Poland. Also, Border Guard officers can ask you about the purpose of coming to Poland, request for confirmation of having health insurance for the duration of […]

How to travel to Poland?

You can get to Poland using one of three options, depending on where you are currently: by sea, by land or by air. Because the first option applies to the smallest number of people, we will focus on the other two. Aeroplanes – both direct flights and flights requiring a change are possible. Due to […]

How to get medical help?

When living in Poland, you can sign up to the clinic appropriate for your place of residence or any other. To sign you need to apply to the selected institution with the choice of a family doctor. You will go to this doctor for a visit in case of colds, malaise, and also for a […]

How to use public transport in Szczecin?

In Szczecin, you can travel by public transport, i.e. buses and trams. Their schedule and routes can be checked on this page,wedlug-linii. In public transport, the following apply one-time temporary tickets, daily and multi-day tickets, monthly tickets, three-month tickets. Their prices can be found at:,bilety-orazowe and fees, tickets-term.

Can I open a bank account in Poland?

Currently, most banks allow a foreigner to open an account in Poland. In some of them, you can only settle it in person, but more and more banks allow you to set up an account electronically. Before choosing a bank, check whether to open an account you must be a resident (have a registration) or […]

Where to look for a flat for rent?

You can search for a flat to rent in two ways: – independently via internet and social networking sites such as: Facebook (here you can find various groups with apartments offers),,,,,, etc. – using the help of a real estate office (choosing this option, be prepared to pay for this […]

Are there dedicated places for foreigners in Szczecin?

Off course! There are restaurants, shops, as well as cultural facilities where you can find offers also addressed to foreigners. Here are some examples: Ukraineczka Restaurant – ul. Panieńska 19, Chinkalnia Georgian Restaurant – ul. Śląska 9, Georgian Cuisine ‘Imereti: – ul. Marshal Józef Piłsudski 31/2 Ukrainoczka – Eastern delicatessen – al. Independence 4 Helios […]

Which holidays in Poland are non-working days?

There are holidays in Poland, which celebration is connected with public holidays. When do they occur? – 1st of January – New Year – 6th of January – Epiphany – Easter (the date is flexible, but the holiday always falls on Sunday, in the second half of March or in April) – Easter Monday (the […]

I live with my family in Szczecin, where and what kind of benefits can I receive?

In Szczecin you can receive financial support from the following institutions: I. SZCZECIN’S PENSION CENTER ul. Kadłubka 12, 71-521 Szczecin phone 091 4427-100 (secretary), fax 091 4427-101 Office hours: Monday to Friday from 7:30 to 15:30 (the Customer Service Office is open from Monday to Friday from 7:30 to 16:00) BRANCH OFFICE – ul. Kaszubska […]

Where can I learn the Polish language in Szczecin?

There are some places in Szczecin where you can learn Polish. Special courses for foreigners are organized, among others: The University of Szczecin – weekend course (120 hours in total) during which you will learn how to properly talk with the employer, what you can expect from your employer as a foreigner, how to speak […]

What does the Pole’s Card do?

The Pole’s card confirms the foreigner’s belonging to the Polish nation, but it does not legalize his stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland. To come here, you must have a document legalizing your stay. On the other hand, having a Pole’s Card may facilitate the legalization of your stay. Thanks to it […]

Who can get a permanent residence permit?

A permanent residence permit may be attained by a foreigner who: 1. is a child of a foreigner who has permanent residence permission or a long-term resident’s EU residence permit in Poland and is under his parental care, and who: a). was born after his parent received permanent residence permission or long-term EU resident permission […]

How to legalize child residence?

There are several options for legalizing your child’s stay in Poland. They depend on the legal basis for parents staying in PL. Your child receives a permanent residence permit if you have a permanent or long-term EU resident permit and your descendant: – was born at the time when you had a temporary residence permit […]

Am I entitled to receive a 500+ benefit?

Not only Polish citizens are entitled to receive 500+ for a child, but also foreigners residing in Poland with the child for which they apply. To be able to apply for it, you must be a citizen of one of the European Union countries or the European Free Trade Association – EFTA or be a […]

How to enrol your child in the nursery?

If you want to enrol your child in a nursery, but you do not know which one, you can find a list of all facilities on the website:ęczcow/rodzina/d3/rejestr-zlobkow-i -klubow. Because there is no standardized procedure for enrolling in a nursery, after choosing a specific institution, you must check its procedures individually. Some establishments have […]

How to enrol your child in kindergarten?

If you want to enrol your child in a kindergarten, you must first check with a particular institution whether the application is submitted electronically or directly in kindergarten. Enrollment usually begins in March, and priority is given for those children who live in the municipality or city where the kindergarten is located. In the case […]

How to enrol your child to school?

A foreigner’s child is admitted to the first grade of primary school in the same way as a Polish child. To do this, you need to complete the application – in a specific institution you can find out if you should do it in person or online. As for older classes than primary school as […]

Does my child have health insurance?

People up to 18 years of age, regardless of whether they are insured, have the right to use healthcare. However, according to the Act, they are subject to compulsory insurance. A child can be registered for insurance by parents or legal guardians as well as an institution that looks after the child or school.

What should I know about enrolling my children to the nursery?

INFORMATION REGARDING THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS RELATING WITH APPLYING FOR A GRANTING PLACE IN THE CHILDREN’S NURSERY PARTICIPATING IN THE CITY’S NURSERY TEAM IN SZCZECIN 1. Childcare in a nursery can be provided for a child from 20 weeks to the end of the school year in which the child turns 3 years old. 2. […]

What are the conditions for foreigners to study in Polish schools?

1. Persons who are not Polish citizens benefit from education and care in: a) kindergartens or other forms of pre-school education, a) primary schools also in special primary schools b) secondary schools (high schools, technical schools, industry schools) also in special secondary schools c) art schools, educational establishments on conditions applicable to Polish citizens. 2. […]

What to do if there is a problem with enrolling your child to school or organizing free Polish language learning?

People who are not Polish citizens and who are subject to compulsory education and study, take advantage of education and care in public schools on the conditions applicable to Polish citizens. These people are admitted to public primary schools in which the perimeter has been established due to the student’s place of residence. Pupils are […]

Do I have the right to sick leave?

Everyone person based on an employment contract (in the case of a commission contract sickness insurance is voluntary) has the right to receive sick leave. This leave is issued by a doctor electronically (e-ZLA) and then goes to the employer’s PUE profile. So you don’t have to worry about delivering them to your employer. However, […]

Can I take a rest leave or a leave at request?

Working under an employment contract, you are entitled to 20 or 26 days of paid annual leave during the calendar year. The number of days off depends on your seniority: 20 days is for people who have worked less than 10 years, 26 days is for people with total seniority of 10 years and more. […]

How to terminate a contract of employment?

There are several ways to part with your employer. Those are: agreement of the parties – termination of cooperation is possible overnight. Consent to this form of termination must be expressed by two parties; termination of the contract with a notice period – the notice period depends on the length of employment and is as […]

How to begin the cooperation?

Before starting cooperation with you, your future employer should receive a document that will legalize your work. This document should be handed to you. You will also be directed for an initial medical examination at the cost of the employer. For signing the contract you should bring: passport, document legalizing your stay (if it is […]

What is the difference between gross and net salary?

The salary on the employment contract you sign will be determined in the gross amount. This is the amount of your salary, including compulsory contributions and tax (to the Social Insurance Institution and the Tax Office). It is assumed that the amount of taxes in Poland is approx. 30% of the remuneration. The net amount […]

What is Personal Income Tax?

PIT means a personal income tax. It is collected both from Polish tax residents and from persons who do not have a Polish tax residence. In this second case, the tax is collected only from revenues that were obtained in Poland. You must settle the tax due in each tax year. For this purpose, the […]

What is Tax identification number?

It is a tax identification number consisting of 10 digits. This number should be provided in documents that relate to tax liabilities, as well as those that are collected by customs and tax authorities. Natural persons who do not conduct business activity provide Personal Identification Number instead of the Tax identification number

What is the Personal Identity Number?

PESEL is an abbreviation of “Universal Electronic System of Population Register”. It is used to collect basic information that allows recognition of the identity as well as the administrative and legal status of Polish citizens and foreigners who live in Poland. To facilitate the possibility of getting to a doctor, to deal with many matters […]

What is an “employment contract”?

Every person employed full-time in a particular company should have an employment contract. It contains information about who concludes a contract with whom, place of work, position, salary, full-time position and scope of duties. All matters which are not addressed in the contract are regulated by the Labor Code. A person employed under a contract […]

What should you be aware of when signing the contract? (ex. Penalty for termination of the contract, Non-compete clause)

Different companies are stating various records in their agreement which are on the edge of the law, or incompatible with it. Those practices have been observed mostly regarding civil contracts. You can experience the situation that following from your contract you will be punished for its unjustified dissolution. If this kind of record exists there […]

What documents legalize work in Poland?

Documents that are legalizing work in Poland are: statement on entrusting the performance of work – on its basis you can work a maximum of 6 months in the last 12 months, work permission – authorizes you to work for up to three years, seasonal work permission – you can work under it up to […]

Who is responsible for legal work?

For the illegal entrustment of work, your employer may be fined, and if the illegal employment id continued – he may be banned from employing foreigners. It is mostly his responsibility to employ you legally. Although remember that it is in part also your duty. You can also be fined or even deported. That is […]

What documents entitle the legal stay in Poland?

The most important document that permits staying in the territory of the Polish Republic is a passport. It has to be issued in the last 10 years and it should be valid for at least 3 months after the date of your planned departure from Poland. If the passport expires, all other legalization documents become […]

Who is responsible for a legal stay?

Before deciding for hiring you, your potential employer needs to check are you staying in Poland legally. Nevertheless, the responsibility for your stay’s legalization is your duty. You need to mind the expiry dates of documents that legalize your stay. If you are under the process of issuing a uniform temporary residence and work permits, […]

What are the risks of illegal stay?

As we have mentioned already – you are the responsible one for legalizing your stay. Thus, if you stay on the territory of Poland illegally – you bear the consequences. Remember that even one day of illegal stay may result in your deportation. Of course, if it is your employer’s omission and you haven’t been […]